Friday, January 30, 2009

Save the World One Bag At a Time

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
Let's stop the wasteful use of bags at the grocery store. It kills me when I see a shopper with a cart full of groceries filling up 12 plastic bags at the checkout counter. What is plastic made of? Can you say "petroleum"? Therefore, if you use brand new plastic bags every time you go to the grocery store, then America's dependency on foreign oil is your fault -- YOURS!

Canvas shopping bags are cool -- chicks dig them. When I visited Europe this fall, I was amazed to see that stores did not provide bags; shoppers were on their own -- as they should be! The hard part, I'll admit, is remembering to bring your bags into the store. If you're like me and you always forget to bring them in, no worries. The checkout line is slow; put your cart in line and you will have time to go out to the parking lot to get your bag. It's nice because, since you always forget your bag, you no longer need to read the dumb tabloid headlines.

Seriously, Let's stop being wasteful. It is up to us to save the planet one bag at a time.

Oh, and one more thing. Can you do me a favor and put your cart in a cart-catcher or back to the front of the store. Don't leave it in the lot where it's going to scratch my car. I want to save the world, but I also feel bad for that kid who has to run around the lots picking up everyone's carts.

No comments: