Wednesday, April 11, 2012

News Flash: Snow!

You wouldn't know unless you were really paying attention: it snowed in the mountains... a LOT. Oscar, Gladys, and I loaded our ski stuff (which for me includes, skis, poles, boots, goggles, and backpack and for the dogs means themselves) into the car and headed to Stowe this morning. The mountains have been completely socked in clouds for two days, and they didn't become anymore visible as we drove up Route 108. Making matters worse, it started raining as we passed the Matterhorn. By the Tollhouse, it was pouring.

But then as we gained elevation, the rain stopped, and snow began to fall. The first thing I realized putting my foot in my telemark boots was that I had removed the footbeds and put them in my biking shoes -- drat! We began climbing, and it became apparent that the storm had been major. Oscar and Gladys, having -- along with the rest of the world (ie Vermont) -- been thinking spring was here, were beside themselves with excitement. We passed 8 people (6 guys, 2 girls) on the way up -- all in touring gear (7 skiers, one snowboarder) -- and four dogs.

At the top we removed skins and turned down the steep favorite Hayride. The run was a tale of 3 elevations. The first more-than-a-third of the way down was like skiing in whipping cream. The snow was dense, but compact enough that I didn't sink. Beautiful -- some of my season's best tele-turns. Oscar plowed through behind me while Gladys bounded above the snow. The second stretch, beginning on the Waterfall section of Hayride, became heavy, but still fabulous -- about 18 inches deep. The coverage was amazing, considering Hayride had been completely grassed over a week ago. The last stretch was mashed potatoes -- still fun, but certainly tough skiing.

It was the second largest accumulation of the season -- and (like the largest, when it only snowed 3 inches in the Valley but 36 in the mountains) no one's the wiser! Even I went kayaking and bicycling yesterday. All I can say is don't ever put your skis away in Vermont in April. You just never know what may happen.

No comments: