Friday, June 29, 2012

Roberts and Snape (Spoiler Alert)

Between the years of 1998 and 2007, I never would have fathomed that the words displayed to the left would be posted on this blog. "Snape" and "trust"? No way. I admit it: I was a Snape doubter all the way. Only one person had less faith in Sevvie than me, and that was Harry himself.

Which is why I took note of Erin Gloria Ryan's June 28th tweet. Ryan, reacting to the Supreme Court ruling in favor of the President's healthcare plan, tweeted: "Roberts is the Severus Snape of the Supreme Court."

I realize I live in a cave in Richmond, Vermont (and I may barely know what a tweet is... something about 140 characters, right?). No, I don't follow Erin Gloria Ryan's twitter activity, nor am I familiar with Jezebel, the gossipy on-line magazine she writes for. But sooner or later, your Harry Potter tweets will come to my attention, and you'll have to answer to me. So what was she getting at? Did she realize that (again, SPOILER ALERT!) in Book 7 Snape saves the day, sacrifices his life for good over evil, and -- in the epilogue -- Harry actually names his child after the former Potions-Master-turned-Defense-Against-the-Dark-Arts-teacher-turned-Headmaster?

Kudos to Ryan -- apparently she is aware. Years after Book 7, I have to admit the idea of Snape the Good Guy still feels... weird. Ryan, however, is more confortable with the concept, and she clarified in a follow-up tweet:

"How am I saying that like it's bad? Severus Snape is awesome. Everybody knows that."

I just wouldn't want to see any uneducated Potter references coming up in regard to current events. And, for anyone who is unclear, this post is about Severus Snape -- and not about current events.

No comments: