Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Jones Bash Named Best Hoe-Down of '08


Marc Jones moved all of the Jones Certified Organic Dairy farm equipment out of the equipment shed yesterday for an old-fashioned barn dance. Once the tractors and hayers were out of the way, Marc's wife Carol brought down microphones and sound equipment, seats, coolers, a sheet or two of plywood for a stage, and two plush velvety chairs for performers.

The only things she was missing were people and the Snack Bus, and by 5pm they showed up in full force -- the people carrying coolers and fold-out chairs under their arms, and the Snack Bus ready to sling their burgers, hot dogs, and fries.

As we drove in, padded dirt bikers (read, Carol and Marc's son William and his friends) led us to our campsites out in the field. Strolling from the tent site to the dance hall, I couldn't help thinking of the Vermont ReggaeFest when it was held in the hills of Johnson, Vermont.

The only differences were that the main musical influence at Carol's was folk; there were about 19,900 fewer people at Carol's (I believe there were 20K at the ReggaeFest); and the Jones farm, located in beautiful Georgia, Vermont, was (if you can believe it) slightly more scenic.

There were many highlights during the open mike sessions that started the music off -- and one low-light: me snapping my G-string (the one on my guitar, thank you) just before my hardest song. Then Lowell Thompson played two sets. He was so wonderful that even Marc and Carol's milk cows crowded along the fence at the edge of their pasture to listen. Big Boots Deville provided dance covers for those who wanted to dance, but I'd have to say that the Snack Bus' root beer floats may have been the biggest hit of the evening. 75% of people polled said they went back for seconds.

And now the big news: the entire staff of this website has voted unanimously to name the party "Hoe-down of the Year"! It was the best I have been to in a long time: awesome live music, great people, and beautiful surroundings. Thanks Marc and Carol, and congrats on the recognition!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Marc Jones, not Mark Jones
:)

M Aiken said...

Thanks for the clarification... I have made the appropriate changes to the post!

oscar said...

Awesome party! I especially enjoyed dancing to Big Boots and the kid who dropped half a cheeseburger on the ground. Yumm!

Unknown said...

I'll second the motion for best hoe-down, 2008. The music, food and scenery were great. Best of all was Carol and Marc's hospitality and spending an evening with my best friends.

I will be saving a spot on my 2009 calendar for the 2nd annual! I can hardly wait.