Friday, July 18, 2008

The Barber


Choosing your barber is a very personal thing. Years ago, when Wayne the barber in downtown Winooski closed his operation in order to spend more time bass fishing, I was in a quandary. Who do I trust to cut my hair, who has the latest copy of Sports Illustrated in his waiting area, and who can cut my hair in less than 10 minutes?

My dad turned me on to Dick's Barber Shop on Williston Road several years ago. Dick was an older gentleman who cut good hair and kept it brief. His shop was a three-chair shop, and he cut hair at the first chair. The other two chairs would be occupied by hair-cutters on a rotating basis -- nobody staying very long. What I began to notice was that I would arrive to find Dick cutting hair, one or both of the newbies sitting reading magazines... and three or four people waiting for Dick.

When a very young barber fresh out of barber school began working for Dick, I began having him cut my hair. The kid -- named Clay -- seemed to do a great job, and I never had to wait in the line for Dick. My hair situation seemed solved.

Until one day, I showed up (and I really needed a haircut) and Clay was not there. "Where's Clay?" I asked. "He doesn't work here anymore," said Dick. Four customers were waiting for Dick, but another barber was sitting in his own barber chair reading. I went with him. He butchered me.

For several months, I avoided the place. When I finally couldn't wait any longer, I went in and waited an hour for Dick, while the butcher read.

Finally, I heard about another barber shop that had opened no more than half a mile from Dick's. Not without reservations, I checked it out. Lo and behold, Clay had opened a shop less than a mile from his old boss! Oh the scandal! The betrayal! "He's probably not too happy," was Clay's only comment about the situation.

Clay has been cutting my hair for the last four years. He has an extremely loyal following, and sometimes there's a long wait. I usually come right at 8am so I am the first in the chair. He's quick, professional, and he does it the way I like it: short.

I am a busy person, and it's often tough to find time for a haircut. This week, I went to Clay's before work at EatingWell.I had no cash, so I drove past his place to stop at an ATM, knowing that this would cost me first chair. I pulled up at 8:30am to find his shop dark. "On Vacation. Back July 22" read the sign on his door. I sat in my car, not knowing what to do. Finally, I pulled out and turned left.

And went to Dick's.

No comments: