Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Gardening vs. Weeding



Left: my vegetable garden before weeding.
Right: my vegetable garden after weeding.

I am a great gardener (self-proclaimed), but a terrible weeder. Yes, two weeks ago, I went after those weeds with a vengeance. And, I have to admit, it was rewarding. I'm not saying I like weeding, but each time I went out there and knocked out another section of the garden... I felt good about myself and life in general.

That said, I think I let the weeds suffocate most of my veggies. My squash and zucchinis have not produced (although they flowered like crazy). I have only enjoyed two cucumbers. Our peppers did pretty well, and those peppers we got before the insects did were good. The beans, like the squashes, flowered but didn't produce (and I had a little incident where I might have knocked over some of my bean plants with the wheel of the lawnmower, which may have killed them -- not sure, though). Our basil, like last year, is doing well, and my four lettuce plants contributed to one taco salad. Meanwhile, the tomatoes are rocking -- hopefully they turn red before the insects get them too. And -- my pride and joy -- my garlic.

I forgot to plant my garlic last fall when you are supposed to. Instead, I planted six cloves of garlic that I bought at the grocery store -- DURING A JANUARY THAW! You're reading it right here, ladies and gentlemen! Despite the warnings of many nay-sayers (and there were lots), my garlic sprouted, it's thriving, and I believe it's going to be my cash crop this year. I haven't harvested any yet, but it's coming, baby!

My gardening skills are nothing to write about (unless you have your own blog!), but they are improving. I can't wait till next year's garden... and I can't WAIT to harvest my garlic of 2008!

No comments: