Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Today's Weather


It's raining. Steadily.

But because the purpose of this blog isn't to give the daily weather report, I'm not going to talk about that. Because, although people are saying it's been a rainier-than-usual summer, the honest truth is I haven't even noticed. True, I haven't been rock climbing as much outside. And true, the Winooski River across the street from our house is high in its bed, and the rock we use to judge the river's water level has been gone from view for weeks. But the fact is, the weather hasn't really affected me.

Pretty much every morning this summer, Alison, Oscar, and I have either gone for a run on one of our running loops or for a walk to the river -- rain or shine. Ali said recently that these morning forays have been her favorite part of the whole summer, and I'd have to agree with her. We live in such a beautiful nook here in Vermont... I'm glad we have had the flexibility this season to take this time in the mornings. I will miss our walks when winter takes the daylight away (and I begin my 45-minute-each-way commute to work).

And, also, when you change your career from "summer camp director" to "freelance writer," you notice after awhile how little the weather matters in your new life! For the last nine years, I'd be off to camp early on a day like this, and the day would be full of stress. Trying to come up with rainy-day activities for 40 or more kids in spaces without enough room is hard work. By the end of days like this, I'd be ready to drop. But those days are past! Today is perfect writing weather. I'm going to work on one of my freelance projects this morning and then head over to EatingWell. I like being able to enjoy a day while the earth gets to drink its fill; it makes me feel like my motives are a little more in line with the planet's.

Although this is not a weather blog, I love a rainy day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Instead of coming up with activities for 40 campers you got to look at a puppy with flat ears and a long face. Hope you got a romp in the puddles this morning!

M Aiken said...

I didn't see any long face. And, yes, we romped...