Thursday, August 7, 2008

Save the Turtles


My daily commute this summer takes me through some beautiful rural Vermont farm country. Over the hayfields and gardens, I can see the ridgeline of Green Mountains between Mount Mansfield and Camel's Hump, and I always reflect on what a great way the drive is to begin and end a day.

Yesterday, as I was coming home, a white mid-sized pickup truck stopped in the middle of the road, seemingly for no reason. He didn't even try to make it look like he tried to pull off to the side. I have to admit that I was like, "Buddy! What are you doing?"

The driver got out of his truck -- still parked in the middle of the lane -- and, leaving his door open, stepped in front of it. He bent down and picked something off the ground. It was a turtle! It had been working its way across the road, and by the time we got there, its head was jammed inside its shell -- totally freaked out.

The guy walked across the road, set it on the other side (I hope to heck that's the direction it was trying to go!), smiled and waved to me, got in his truck and continued down the Vermont country road.

You know what's better than finishing a work day at 4pm (I love that, by the way!) and driving home on a picturesque Vermont country road? It's seeing someone stop and do something nice along the way.

1 comment:

M Aiken said...

Hmmmm, I wonder how many honks that guy would've heard if he was in NJ, or Mass? I mean, he probably held you up for a minute! Maybe two!! On second thought, he wouldn't have heard any because he'd have been run over right away :)
(From Alison-using Mark's account)