Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Inferno

In one day: run 8 miles, paddle 6, and bike 18 miles up hilly Route 302 in New Hampshire. Once there, shoulder a backpack laden with skis and skiboots and hump it up the steep Tuckerman Ravine Trail. When you get to the base of the ravine, drop your pack, don your ski boots, carry your skis straight up the steepest pitch the East Coast has to offer, then ski a Giant Slalom course some lunarticks have set on the storied Headwall of Tuckerman's. The event is known as the Inferno, it's organized by a group called Friends of Tuckerman, and I'm participating next week.

Why did I decide to do it? It sounded neat at the time. How well-prepared am I? Not well. Am I going to do it anyway? You bet I am.

I'm sure it will be a hair-raising tale, so stay tuned for a blog-entry coming soon. The Inferno is coming up, and when the starter says "Go" I'll be there with the rest of the self-torture set. See you there!

1 comment:

Doug and Ruth said...

Well, good luck! I'm exhausted just reading about it. See you on the 19th.