Tuesday, July 28, 2009

How To Talk To Cops

This is not a political blog, but I can't help but add my comments to the many editorial remarks that have been made following President Obama's reaction to the arrest of Harvard professor and historian Henry Louis Gates.

I feel that those who have discussed this issue (if you can really call it an "issue"), have really missed the boat. It's all about how you talk to people -- how Professor Gates talked to the cops that came to his door, and how the Press treated the President's reaction.

1) Some guidance for Professor Gates: Rule Number One, Professor, is don't antagonize them... unless you already know you're getting ticketed/arrested/written up. All reports about the Gates incident -- including Gates' own account -- indicate that Gates began talking back and being rude before they cuffed him. In my older and wiser years, I have found that being nice gets much better results. Like, for example, one time I got pulled over for running a red light. (For the record, it was definitely yellow... and I was in a rush.) However, I didn't get into that discussion. Instead, I apologized, promised I would be more careful, and was completely polite and respectful. The officer let me off with a warning. See, Professor? Don't be a jerk! Of course they dragged you in.

2) A president of the United States told the people what he thought. Then we roasted him for it. Thanks a lot, Media and Press types! Don't expect him to ever give us a straight answer again. And that's what it was: "Sounds stupid to me," was basically Obama's remark. But I'm sure he's learned his lesson; long-winded, circular answers get much better results from our Press than straight answers. It's a bummer. Regardless what you think of his policies, he was a straight-shooter. Mr. President, if you're out there reading this, take note. I appreciated your honesty. Sorry you got dragged through the ringer because of it. There was a recent comment on a radio show that asked a question. "If the President and Sgt Crowley (the policeman who arrested Gates) have made up and moved on -- and they seem to have -- can our Press?" Get on with your lives, people! Please!

2 comments:

Amy French said...

is there a third piece of advice?

M Aiken said...

Yes. The third piece of advice is in regard to ear-cleaning. Don't stick the Q-Tip more than a couple of millimeters inside your ear as this is dangerous and could harm the ear drum. For more life-saving advice, keep tuning in to AikenAction everyone!!