Friday, January 8, 2010

Life in Black and White

I used to think that, when my parents and grandparents were kids, there were no colors. All of the TV footage of those times is in black-and-white. And all of the photographs of them as kids are black-and-white. It was therefore no big stretch to assume that the world was devoid of color in those days.

For a short time today, color left my world. On a backcountry ski trip this afternoon, I found myself surrounded by only two colors: white and grey. The above photo is a color shot. See what I mean? Snow was falling and the sky was grey. The ground was covered by a soft fluffy white blanket. And the trees appeared in various shades of grey. The only occasional shots of color I got were -- every now and then when my skis appeared above the fluff -- the small bright green graphics of my boards and an occasional flash of yellow when Oscar darted from tree to tree.

It felt like an old-time ski movie. No people, no colors, just the snow, the mountain, my dog, and me. There wasn't even much for sound, so it was like a silent movie. All I could hear was Oscar's bell, which was muted by snow. Everything was quiet, peaceful, and cold -- although I was sweating underneath on the way up. At the top, the sun attempted to show itself, but the ski remained white. I quickly removed my skins, put on my shell, sipped some water, and got ready for the descent.

Going down was fabulous. I skied the same area yesterday, and it was the best run of my season. Today was the same except that there were 3 or 4 inches of new snow, and it was still falling. So, despite the old-time format, the skiing was phenomenal -- just like in the old ski movies.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Good thoughts & photos!! I appreciate your reflections on the lack of bright colors in this season. In the woods, you can get a better sense of the landscape without leaves in the way. Many of Andrew Wyeth's paintings depict the muted, simple beauty of grays, browns and white, with just small hints of other colors. (Wyeth didn't use white paint; he just left white canvas in those spots.) Glad you & Oscar enjoyed the day!