Saturday, June 26, 2010

New Station

All my life I have wanted to live somewhere that had an incredible radio station. Growing up near two college stations, there were sporadic moments of radio greatness, but just as often they'd broadcast "Cats Screeching in the Night" or "Out-of-Tune Flutes Attempting to Shatter Glass" programs for hours on end.

I've lived near Public Radio stations that have had interesting news shows, Garrison Keillor's show on Saturday evenings, and the occasional folk or blues show, but classical music has been their main musical genre. And, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against classical; it's just that this is the year 2010 here, people. How about some music that came from this century?

Recently, however, I saw a guy riding his bike up the Main Street hill in Burlington. Dangling from his bike frame was a placard: "Farm Fresh 102.9." Hmmm, what's this?

Fresh is right. Farm Fresh Radio is broadcast from an actual farm in Bridport, Vermont. Their only commercials are brief, creative sketches done in their own studios or soft-spoken DJs plugging their sponsors. Their music lists generally include more songs and performers that I have not heard of then ones with which I'm familiar. Still, after most songs, I am left wondering who that was. Just as often, I never find out; there is so little chatter on the station that I have usually reached my destination by the time a DJ comes on to talk. If I had to come up with four words to describe their playlists, they'd be "bluesy," "bluegrassy," "Americana," and "gives-me-faith- that-there-is-still-a-universe-filled-with-great-new-music-out-there" (yes, hyphenated words count as one word, and if you don't agree, I make the rules on this blog.) In the last few minutes, they played Frankie Lee, Guy Davis, and Root Boy Slim 'n' the Sex Change Band featuring the Rootettes.

They are grassroots, word-of-mouth, and underground. The guy riding around advertising by bicycle fits perfectly with their message and mission. And don't count them out because they are new or because they are small. I have a feeling about Farm Fresh Radio 102.9. A feeling like they are about to take off. And that they're going to be here for a long, long time.

(Note: if you don't live in town, check 'em out at farmfreshradio.com. You can listen to them on-line and get their on-line playlist to find out who that last-musician-to-play-in-your-car-before-you reached-your-destination was.

No comments: