Thursday, May 9, 2013

Early Track Workout

Two memorable things from this morning's early track workout. First off, for those that don't know, in preparation for the Vermont City Marathon, a group of runners and I have been meeting early Thursday mornings for speed workouts at the South Burlington High School track.

Today's workout was 10x800s. In other words, 800 meters 10 times. Fast. It was a tough workout, but it felt great (expecially afterwards).

Meanwhile, as we were circling the track, I noticed an SBHS track coach working out two student-athletes. One would assume these are elite athletes trying to gain a small edge, right? Not necessarily. As I left, I mentioned to the coach that I thought it was great he was out here at 6AM with these kids. The kids, he said, have all-state band practice for the next two days, so they had been excused from practice.

As for the early morning, pre-school session, he said they approached him, not vice versa. "If high school kids are going to ask me to come in at 6AM to make up missed practices," he said, "then I'm coming in at 6AM."

Great inspiration. And a great morning to run.

No comments: