Thursday, May 2, 2013

Why I Run

A few years ago, our running group made a t-shirt. For the back of the shirt, everyone submitted reasons why they run with the group (for the camaraderie, for motivation, for the post-run breakfast were some of the entries).

As I have for each of the past nine springs, I am preparing for this year's Vermont City Marathon. After signing up in 2005 to run my first and only marathon, it has become "my" race -- the one event that, without fail,  I do every year.

There come times, though -- take for example, this week, when I had to work around pain in my right shin, when I had to get up for my weekly Thursday morning speed workout (6:15AM at the SBHS track -- come one, come all!), and when I'm looking forward to a 20-miler on Sunday -- when one needs to review why. Why do I run? Read on...

10) It's a great way to get around.

9) To wear out my dogs so they don't wreck house

8) Takes less time than hiking

7) Feels great when it's over

6) Feels great while you're doing it

5) Keeps you in shape for hockey (and other sports)

4) Everyone else thinks it's crazy (Note: runners know it's the non-runners that are nuts...)

3) Not much equipment involved

2) It's good for you (unless you read the medical studies out there that say it's not)

1) So I can have seconds AND dessert!

In short, it's just great exercise. And regardless of how much you don't want to run, you always feel better during and after -- and that's a good way to get through a day. See you at the marathon... May 26th!

No comments: